top of page


In a small vintage frame, excellent vintage condition.

H9.5cm W13.5cm D2.5cm

Mission Bay takes its present name from the Anglican missionary college established there in 1859 when the bay was still known as Kohimarama, a name now used for the next bay to the east. But the New Zealand climate was too cold for the Melanesians brought from the Pacific Islands to Kohimarama for the summer months and in 1867 the Melanesian Mission moved to Norfolk Island, Thereafter the college buildings were leased to the New Zealand Government and used as a reformatory, known as the Naval Training School in the 1870s, and as the Industrial School in the 1880s. The Government relinquished the lease at the end of 1892 and a few years later the wooden dormitories and classrooms were sold for removal, leaving only the stone building, originally the dining hall and kitchen of the missionary college. The building's role as the Melanesian Mission Museum began in 1929. It is now administered by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.


From the original painting by


Melanesian Misson Museum ~ Miniature Vintage Frame

    bottom of page